Friday, June 20, 2008

Love Is All Around


Tonight we saw Mike Meyers' new creation, "The Love Guru" (on opening night, no less!). It was good - just good. Not Mike Meyers' best, but not his worst. I don't think he has a "worst", but this movie had a lot of great laughs in the beginning but started to fade from the middle through the end. Supporting cast was pretty good (though I'm not a huge Jessica Alba fan - she's cute, but I see no value in her otherwise). My favorite comedian, Jim Gaffigan, has a bit part as a sports commentator (as does Stephen Colbert). Sexual innuendo and double entendres are Meyers' forte, but they almost became a little boring in this outing, as they are right in your face (no pun intended). Also, I noticed that there were NO Indian people in the audience in the theater. The depiction of gurus and Indians in general was a little over the top, even for me, and I guess I can understand why so many Indian people are up in arms over this movie. But then again, maybe they should just chill the f--- out. After all, how many movies have we seen poking fun at African Americans, Jews, Catholics, Irish, etc., and how many awful jumbled depictions have we seen of Asian people? No wonder Americans have no freaking clue as to the differences between different Asian cultures. But I digress. "The Love Guru" is worth seeing - at the movies if you love Mike Meyers (as I do), or on DVD if you just don't give a flip. It's extremely predictable, but fun. Throughout the movie, I saw opportunities for more laughs that just didn't pay off. If Mike Meyers plans sequels (a la the Austin Powers movies), hopefully he can recoup on some of the missed opportunities later. Mareshka hargitay!

By the way, when did movies become so freakin' expensive?!? Our tickets were $8 each, military discount!!

No comments:


Aren't I glamorous?