Friday, June 13, 2008

CCC = Crappity Crap Crap

I remember begging my mom for the Atari 2600 when I was in 6th grade. I finally got it for Christmas that year, after all the other kids had moved on to Intellivision. What the hell?!? .........

I'm not the biggest video game nerd in the world, but I do remember this from the Atari 2600 from the '80s:


E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

Estimated budget: over $50m (inflation-adjusted)
No list of video game flops would be complete without the game that's widely credited with causing the great videogame crash of 1983. Atari paid somewhere around $25 million for the movie license, then had their programmers hammer out a game in a mere five weeks. The video games industry celebrated its release by disappearing into a recession that took years to cure, and Atari was broken up and sold just a year later. E.T. is still remembered as the worst game ever made. Still, if that hasn't put you off (perhaps you are a masochist or otherwise insane) head for the desert and start digging: untold millions of unsold E.T. cartridges were dumped in an Alamogordo, New Mexico landfill where they remain to this day. Best place for 'em.

1 comment:

Jetty said...

Ha! I was just reading up on the guy that created Atari as Leonardo DiCaprio is going to play him in an upcoming movie. His name escapes me but after he was fired from Atari over creative differences like a year before it was split up and sold off, he created Chuck E Cheese. Just a tidbit of info.


Aren't I glamorous?