Saturday, June 14, 2008

Japanese Accessory Fanatics


I just got this picture from the Shichirigahama website I check frequently to illustrate a point and to poke fun at the Japanese a little bit (Akemi, don't read this post!). I don't know the people in the photo, nor do I wish them any ill feelings. But check out the pristine matching wetsuits and flawless, brand-spanking new equipment! This is so typical in Japan! Whenever people in Japan take up a hobby, they go totally all-out with the equipment and every possible accessory you can imagine ad nauseum. When I used to show up at the beach with my 10 year old wetsuit and dinged up board, I felt like such a pauper! It's kind of annoying! They have accessories that you can't even buy in the U.S. Accessories that you didn't even know existed! Likewise, when I first learned how to snowboard in the Japanese Alps, everyone was soooo stylish in their urban chic snowsuits and top-of-the line boards! I was out there in my grimy MWR rental gear. I had to laugh when we returned the U.S. and I went snowboarding at Wintergreen, Virginia. Americans, by contrast, are so redneck. I saw people out there in blue jeans and regular winter coats! It reflects a big philosphical difference between the two countries. In Japan - Look good no matter your skill level; esthetics are of the utmost importance. In the U.S. - Pack up your old shit and go!! You forgot your underwear and your socks don't match! Oh well, who cares!

No comments:


Aren't I glamorous?