Sunday, April 13, 2008

Active Day

Yesterday was a fun, action-packed day. Akemi had an all-day power yoga workshop so I took advantage of the beautiful weather by first going on a 7 mile run. Following, I loaded up the surfing gear and drove over to Hannah Park to catch a few waves. This has been my first outing surfing in the area since I've moved back home, and it was also my first time to use the surf racks I had installed on the MINI. They worked out well, but the "lift" created by my longboard strapped down like an airplane wing on that little car is almost a little scary. The Wonderwood Bridge nearby is incredible, cutting my drive to the beach down to about 5 minutes (a drive that typically used to take at least 25 minutes). Water temperature now necessitates only a spring suit, but I was freezing my butt off after about 45 minutes out in the water because of the severe wind. And I guess I paid for it last night because I had some water trapped in my sinuses and my ears and I awoke around 12:30 at night with a raging earache in my right ear - a first since I was about 12 years old. Today I'm ok, so I hope that was the worst of it. Guess I'll have to stay out of the water for at least a week or two. Following my surf session, I met Akemi at home and we headed to Caribee Key, a great seafood restaurant at Atlantic Beach with an upstairs patio bar which is always buzzing with people. They make the best Mojitos around, and also have Blue Moon Belgian Wheat on tap to boot.


One other thing - check out this great album on iTunes called 'Both Before I'm Gone' by chick punk band Girl In A Coma. Yes, the name comes from that old Smiths song "Girlfriend In A Coma". With influences from The Smiths, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and Pixies, vocalist Nina Diaz sounds like a female Morrissey, who happens to be a big fan of theirs and had them open for him for half of his last tour. If you listen closely you'll also hear a little Beth Orton, Chrissie Hynde, Kim Deal, and PJ Harvey in her vocal stylings. The band is currently on tour around the country doing small live houses. They're bound to get bigger so download the album now while it's only $6!

No comments:


Aren't I glamorous?