Friday, August 15, 2008

Your Redneck Past

I stole this video clip from the Albino Bowler; hope he doesn't mind. It's a phenomenal rendition of "Your Redneck Past" by Ben Folds Five. I'm getting in touch with my redneck past - not a difficult feat in Jacksonville, Florida, despite the fact that I was raised by German immigrants in a fairly open-minded household. My father, though, really tapped into his inner-redneck - hence, the gun collection, the genuine ostrich skin cowboy boots, and the Ford F150. It really is true, though; every country and every culture has its own redneck demographic. I even found them in Japan - e.g. the oji-san truck drivers with their tricked-out semis, and the "yan-kis" (or "young kids") with their tacky clothes and mullets (along with 5 illegitimate children all crammed into a booth at the "all-plates-are-¥100" sushi restaurants). Next time you travel abroad, keep your eyes peeled. You're bound to see someone else with their own redneck past.

No comments:


Aren't I glamorous?