Sunday, May 18, 2008

My Farewell Party, Part 2

Yes, I'm having one of my "I miss Japan" melancholy moments, so I thought I'd go ahead and post the second part of my farewell party entry. These photos are starting to look like ancient history now. They were all taken at a karaoke place about two blocks from base, where we went following 'Banzai'. Karaoke is so much fun in Japan. It's practically a national pasttime there. And in these type of establishments, you actually get a private room for your group, and you can order food and drinks. Yes - that is an orthodontic retainer in a glass of beer! Funny story about that - that belongs to Dr. Martha Michaelson (lady in the pink sweater), or at least it DID. She put it in there as a joke, but the real joke is that she ended up accidentally LEAVING it at that karaoke joint!! And the guy taking a picture of it with his cell phone is her orthodontist!! So ironic - the orthodontists absolutely HATE it when people lose their retainers! I died when I heard that we all walked out of there and let Martha forget it!! Apparently, alcohol and dentistry don't mix!







3 comments:

Jetty said...

I love the lyrics on the tube in one of the pics, "Sleeples Nights". Awesome!

Berndog said...

Yeah - that's Akemi singing "Separate Ways" by Journey. You gotta love it!

Check out the other pics - Martha is singing "Loveshack" by the B-52s, and Harry "Tiger" Watts (he is the spitting image of Tiger Woods!) is singing "Roxanne" by The Police.

Good times!

Jetty said...

Yeah, I saw the Love Shack! My brother says when I go visit we're going to do karaoke. Can't wait!


Aren't I glamorous?