Sunday, May 11, 2008

Gettin' Some Culture

Pretty laid back day today - I went to Bikram (without Akemi - she was feeling under the weather), picked her up afterward and went down to St. John's Town Center for a little shopping, then came home and cleaned up and took my mom down to the Jacksonville Landing where we met up with Tony, my sister-in-law Lysa and niece Eleanor. We grabbed a quick dinner at Hooters, of all places. The food was ok (greasefest - but I guess we all need our USDA of Crisco from time to time) but the joint was freakin' LOUD! I don't know why. You get a bunch of rednecks around a bunch of barely-legal girls in skimpy orange shorts and next thing you know people are hootin' and hollerin' and the Bachman-Turner Overdrive gets cranked up to mindnumbing levels. So from there, we did a socio-economic 180 and walked next door to the Jacoby Auditorium and watched a Jacksonville Symphony Orchestra benefit concert which was being held to raise money to rebuild a church that burned down last December. Good times! The selection of music was nice, and didn't drag on too long. I do enjoy classical music, but I can only sit through about two hours of a live classical performance. Is that wrong? I don't think so -- you're average movie or rock concert is only about two hours long. That's a nice little unit-dose of time. Kind of like the way that Hugh Grant's character in "About A Boy" divided up his daily activities. The view from the river walk behind the Landing and auditorium is stunning, especially at night. It's too bad that that area gets kind of sketchy at night, otherwise it would be fun to go down there more often.

No comments:


Aren't I glamorous?