Thursday, November 20, 2008

Supergrass Makes Me Happy

Not sure why, but I love a good rockumentary. Case in point, whenever I feel a little melancholy I throw on my copy of "Supergrass Is 10" into the DVD player. It covers their inception as a band, the production of their first four albums, interviews with all the band members, producers, etc., footage of live shows/tv performances, and footage from their multiple international performances. Sounds dull, but it's really, really well-made and makes me all warm and fuzzy, especially when I see their tour footage from Japan. They are just an incredible band and it never ceases to amaze how little they have been promoted in the U.S. Why is that? I just hope they carry on making fantastic, original music. I did enjoy "Road To Rouen", though it was a little slow at points, and I have yet to be inspired by "Diamond Hoo Ha", though I really haven't given it a chance. I rarely like an album right off the bat. Typically, I'll see it or buy it and leave it alone, then months, maybe years later, something will snap in my head and all becomes lucid about how great an album or band it is. This happened to me with Belle and Sebastian. I had quasi-paid attention to them around 2001-03, and then I saw them live in Tokyo in June 2006. Then about 6 months after that, the aural floodgates opened and I couldn't get enough of them! I'm all OC like that. I'm typically into a band when the rest of the world is not.

Oh well. That's enough blathering from me. I think now I'll go watch "LOUD quiet LOUD", the rockumentary about the 2004 reunion of the Pixies.

No comments:


Aren't I glamorous?